Back to client case studies
We firstly created a printed publication to drive brand loyalty and showcase product, and then migrated it to an online digital magazine to keep it cost-effective
In 2012, men’s fashion retailer John Craig needed a content solution to both drive brand loyalty and serve as a lifestyle catalogue to promote sales among account holders and customers in store.
- The costs of publishing, printing and distribution were daunting, so we needed to find a way for the solution to at least partially fund itself.
- The solution needed to add value to the customer’s life, be lifestyle-orientated and talk to his needs and interest, while at the same time showing off new product.
- It needed to be cutting edge, fashionable and capable of enticing clothing sales.
A quarterly printed fashion magazine featuring page after page of photoshoots with models and celebrities wearing John Craig products.
This format allowed us to:
- Sell advertising to John Craig suppliers and external companies, based on the fact that it was such a focused, niche publication.
- Make virtually every item of clothing (even on celebs and in our lifestyle features) available for purchase in store.
- Shoot and produce seasonally, so that everything featured the latest and upcoming fashion trends.
- Extremely well received, with a readership of around 65 000
- Attracted advertising from a range of related and external brands
With the recent spate of post office strikes and the escalating cost of printing, John Craig feared that the costs of distributing a printed magazine were becoming too high. They needed to find a more cost-effective means of producing the same results.
- John Craig had an incomplete database, existing of only phone number, addresses and names (virtually no email addresses).
- John Craig had begun investing and developing their social media and website, but had no strategy for tying everything together.
- John Craig was developing an online store, but had no means of promoting it.
A branded digital magazine, with new posts three times a week, that’s SEO’d and links seamlessly with social media and the online store, as well as having a built-in subscriber function.
John Craig Magazine
This format allows us to:
- Market the digital magazine via SMS to smartphone users.
- At the same time, begin building a new database of subscribers with more complete information.
- Implement SEO and links to drive traffic from interesting content directly to the online store for instant sales.
- Integrate with John Craig social media, for better cohesion: we display social media presences with links in the title, and the channels market/distribute the content.
- Be even more current with the content.
- Use different types of media: copy, image, video, infographics etc.
- Still recoup some costs by selling advertising on the publication (based on its unique demographic).
- Steady weekly readership growth
- Nearly 50% growth in new subscriptions every month
- 30% of traffic is new leads through organic search traffic
- 10% of all readers are converted to leads or direct purchases at online store